Mimi’s amazing Southern Style Meatloaf Recipe is tender and juicy with just the right amount of the best zesty and tangy glaze.
It’s hard to resist a good Meatloaf. Good anytime of the year, this is delightful, soul warming, comfort food on a cold day, that couldn’t be simpler to make.
There is no reason why a meatloaf should be dry and lackluster. And there is no secret to making an outstanding meatloaf!
Tips to making the perfect Southern Style Meatloaf:
- Using a good 80/20 ground meat mixture with help keep it most and tender without it being overly greasy. If you want to use a leaner mixture (95 or above) I suggest using less ground meat and mix in some ground pork.
- Don’t overwork the ground meat or it can become tough.
- The breadcrumbs and milk will also help keep the meatloaf flavorful and tender.
- Unless you have a special meatloaf pan, I recommend using a sheet pan. This allows the loaf to bake and not steam. It also allows any juices to drain off to that it is not sitting any in grease while it cooks.
- 80/20 ground meat mixture.
- Eggs will help bind the meatloaf and help it hold it’s shape.
- Breadcrumbs. You can use seasoned, unseasoned, or even Panko. I use seasoned in my meatloaf mixture.
- Milk will moisten the breadcrumbs and will help to make sure your meatloaf doesn’t dry out.
- Worcestershire sauce. Why? Why not? It’s delicious! It’s tangy, savory, and sweet just adds another layer of deliciousness.
- Onions and bell pepper for flavor. I’ve used green bell pepper here but you can use any color your prefer.
This glaze is sweet, tangy and OH SO GOOD! Ketchup mixed with molasses and Worcestershire sauce is the perfect combination and caramelizes up perfect every time.
How to Make Mimi’s Southern Style Meatloaf:
Dice onions and bell peppers into a fine dice.
Combine all of the meatloaf ingredients into a large bowl.
Mix well and form into a rectangle on a sheet pan.
Bake in a preheated oven. While baking, mix glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
After 25 minutes, remove meatloaf from the oven, spread with half of the glaze mixture. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes and repeat.
Let rest 10 minutes, slice and serve.
Here are some left over meatloaf ideas (that is if you have any):
- Break the meat up and use it for tacos.
- Make a quick chili.
- Or my favorite, on a sandwich with your favorite cheese!
Can you Freeze Meatloaf?
You most certainly can, both before and after cooking.
Before cooking: Mix as instructed, cover tightly in plastic wrap and freeze. Defrost covered in the refrigerator for 24 hours and bake as directed.
After cooking: Once the meatloaf is cooled, slice and freeze individual slices on a parchment-lined pan. Transfer to a freezer bag once frozen. Reheat in the microwave or (even better) in the oven.
If you love this Southern Style Meatloaf you may also enjoy:
- Insanely Easy Louisiana Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya Cajun Style.
- Stuffed Bell Peppers.
- Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Pork Tenderloin.
- Delectable Pork Wiener Schnitzel.
If you love it, leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you and this would help me with future recipes!
Contact me if you would like to see any of your childhood favorites updated or reinvented.
Mimi's Southern Style Meatloaf Recipe
- 2.25 lbs ground meat
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- 1 cup bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tbsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Finely dice onions and bell pepper. You don't want big chunks or they will not cook through all of the way. In the alternative, you can sauté them before adding to the ground meat.
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients for the meatloaf and mix well.
- Add meat mixture to a sheet pan and press into a rectangle that is about 2" thick.
- Place in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is baking, mix up all of the ingredients for a glaze in a small bowl.
- After 25 minutes, remove meatloaf from the oven and spread half of the glaze mixture over. Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes, remove and spread with the remaining glaze. Return to oven and cook another 10 minutes or until an internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove from oven and all to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.