Skip the take out and make these Crispy Honey Chicken TONIGHT! Sweet, slightly spicy, garlicy with the ultimate crunchiness, served over rice, your family will be asking for this time and time again.
With only a handful of ingredients that you probably already have on hand, this better than take out dish comes together in less than 30 minutes making it the perfect weeknight meal.
Bite-sized chicken pieces covered in the most amazing sweet, garlicy, and sticky sauce!
Ingredients in Crispy Honey Chicken Bites:
- Chicken thighs cut up into bite sized pieces seasoned simply with salt and pepper. I prefer chicken thighs as they are more tender than chicken breasts and don’t dry out as easy making them practically fool proof. Buy hey, use chicken breasts if they are your favorite.
- Cornstarch yields a light but crispy crust. Dredging in an egg wash and all-purpose flour will take to long to crispy up with this quick cooking technique leading to dry, over done chicken.
- Rice Wine Vinegar adds just the right amount of acidity to allow the sweetness to come out. A good substitute is apple cider vinegar if you don’t have rice wine vinegar on hand.
- Soy Sauce adds a salty, sweet, and umami flavor.
- Honey adds sweetness with floral undertones that perfectly balances out the slight bitterness of the soy sauce and the heat from the red pepper flakes.
- Garlic adds another layer of sweetness when cooked together with a bit of spicy and earthy flavor that you don’t get from the red pepper flakes.
- Red Pepper Flakes adds a complex spiciness to these chicken bites since it is make with more than one type of pepper, usually cayenne peppers, Anaheim peppers, Fresno peppers, and even sometimes jalapeno peppers. It is simply a matter of adding more or less of the red pepper flakes to achieve the amount of spiciness you want in these crispy chicken bites.
How to Make Crispy Honey Chicken Bites:
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss chicken in cornstarch.
- Shallow fry until golden brown.
- Flip and cook about 2-3 minutes more. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken to sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve garnished with green onions if desired.
If you love it, leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you and this would help me with future recipes!
Contact me if you would like to see any of your childhood favorites updated or reinvented.
Other Recipes You Will Enjoy:
- Crazy Good French Chicken Fricassee
- Fettuccine Alfredo – NO Cream and only 3 Ingredients
- Insanely Easy Louisiana Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya Cajun Style!
- Insanely Sensational Beef and Cauliflower Stir Fry
Crispy Honey Chicken Bites
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 6 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. garlic minced
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss chicken pieces in cornstarch.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches if necessary, cook chicken pieces 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked to an internal temperature of 165°. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Lower heat and add garlic to skillet and cook about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and red pepper flakes, and cook about 2 minutes until thick.
- Return chicken to pan and toss well to coat.
- Serve garnished with green onions, if desired.