Crispy and tender these Spicy Asian Chicken Bites make the perfect appetizer for any occasion. Sticky, spicy and sweet these Chicken Bites will always be a hit. Best part is, they come together in under 30 minutes giving you more time to relax with your guests.
Served with Roasted Broccoli and white rice, these chicken bites also make an easy weeknight dinner.
Want a healthier alternative to frying? Simply bake the chicken at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Ingredients in Spicy Asian Chicken Bites:
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts which are an excellent source of lean protein, low in fact, and cook up quick.
- All-Purpose Flour for the crispiest coating.
- Rice Wine Vinegar which is less acidic, milder, and slightly sweeter than distilled vinegar.
- Soy Sauce which is salty, sweet, savory, and slightly bitter pairs perfects with the Sambal Oelek.
- Honey helps balance out the heat and makes these chicken bites wonderfully sticky.
- Garlic and Ginger.
- Sambal Oelek is a complex chili paste using ground fresh chilies (usually habanero and cayenne), garlic, ginger, and lime juice. You can substitute Siracha is you don’t have any Sambal Oelek, it just won’t be as spicy and will be slightly sweeter.
- Fish Sauce is made of fermented anchovies that are pressed, strained and aged. It is salty and rich in all of these umami flavors. It also pairs wonderfully with citrus juices.
How to Make Spicy Asian Chicken Bites:
Sauté the garlic and ginger in 1 tbsp. vegetable oil until fragrant.
Add rice wine vinegar, water, soy sauce, honey, Sambal Oelek, and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer until thickened. Set aside while you make the chicken bites.
Cut chicken into bite size pieces and season well with salt and pepper.
Combine flour and corn starch in a bowl and beat three eggs in another.
Dredge chicken in flour mixture, then in the eggs, then back in the flour.
Heat about an inch of oil to 350 degrees. Fry the chicken nuggets until golden brown – about 2-3 minutes, flipping once.
Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Toss in the Asian glaze and serve.
Crispy Honey Chicken Bites
Spicy Asian Sauce
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger minced
- 2 tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bit size pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 tsp Kocher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
Spicy Asian Sauce
- Heat olive in a pan, add garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients and similar over low heat until just thickened. About 5 minutes.
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and season well with salt and pepper, You should get about 44 pieces.
- Combine flour and corn starch in one bowl and beat the eggs in another.
- Dip the chicken in the flour, then into the eggs, then back again into the flour making sure to shack off the extra between each step.
- Set chicken aside to rest while you heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Working in batches, fry chicken until deep golden brown, about 2-3 minutes total, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined tray.
- Toss the chicken in the Asian Chili Sauce.